Let’s now look at some example sentences that use this adverb.
– Elizabeth was alternately confused and confident.
– The animal had alternately brown and yellow strips.
– The show is alternately depressing and amusing.
– She felt alternately hot and cold with fear.
– When we were living together, my sister and I alternately took turns taking out the trash.
What Does Alternatively Mean?
Alternatively is also an adverb. But, this means as another choice or possibility. It has the same meaning as the word alternative. Both of these words indicate more than one possibility. For example, the sentence ‘We can arrange a car for you; alternatively, you can take the bus” indicates two choices: taking a car or bus. Thus, the adjective alternatively here has a similar function to ‘or else’ or ‘if not’.
Let’s now look at some more sentences using this adverb.